Sir Joshua Reynolds (16 July 1723 – 23 February 1792) was an English painter, specialising in portraits. John Russell said he was one of the major European painters of the 18th century. He promoted the "Grand Style" in painting which depended on idealization of the imperfect. He was a founder and first president of the Royal Academy of Arts, and was knighted by George III in 1769.
Born: July 16, 1723; Plympton, United Kingdom Places are defined in terms of modern geography.
Died: February 23, 1792; London, United Kingdom Places are defined in terms of modern geography.
- Active Years: 1740 - 1790
- Nationality: British
- Art Movement: Rococo
- Painting School: English school
- Genre: portrait. Field: painting
- Influenced by: Diego Velazquez, Jacob van Ruisdael, Titian
- Influenced on: Paul-Albert Besnard
- Pupils: Paul-Albert Besnard
- Art institution: Royal Academy of Arts (RA), London, UK